Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pumpkins at the Arboretum....or Not!

This morning we decided to head out to the Dallas Arboretum for a fun morning of pumpkin exploration. Laela has been talking about pumpkins this week and it was a great way for us to spend some time together. Well, we did not start out on the right foot. We pulled in, got our stuff, and started walking away from the car when a man and woman in a golf cart pull up and tell us that we can not park there because the are trying to clear space for handicap parking. We said that we did not see any signs for handicap parking and there was someone that just pulled out that was not handicapped. The continued to hound us, even yelling at us. In MOST cases, we would have complied, but this time we decided not too. I know. You are thinking we are horrible people; however, the workers had put me over the top by this point. To make it even better, when we started walking to the entrance, the man and woman followed us and sarcastically said "thanks for helping us out. what you are doing is illegal." Oh man! I was on fire! We got to the entrance and the woman at the desk was incrediblly rude too, so I decided to ask to speak to a manager. She called someone and then quickly said, "sorry, the manager is too busy to come down. fill out this paper and i will send it over with the proper person's name." long story short we argued for a minute, i took the paper with us, and the lady let us in for free. She said that she was doing us a favor and letting us in at no charge and hoping our experience would be better. Hmmm. Interesting start and I am hoping for a good experience because I am not sure we are ever going back.Finally, we get in and it is beautiful. There are pumpkins everywhere! The day is already starting to get warm, but the scenary is beautiful. Thre are literally thousands of pumpkins lining walkways, constructed into houses and piled on hay bails. AWESOME! Then, Laela Grace decided that she did not want to have anything to do with the pumpkins. WHAT? Are you kidding me? At this point I honestly thought there was a candid camera following me just waiting for me to BURST! Then I thought, oh well. She does not have to love the pumpkins, but I will. Then...out of the corner of her eye, Laela spotted a water fountain! Oh yes! Life was good again! We actually found a few different water sources. There was even a few picture opportunities between fountain locations, but overall...not a pumpkin picture kind of day.

No comments: