Sunday, April 29, 2012

Laela's First Soccer Game...

Last Wednesday, Laela went to her first soccer practice. She started out okay. Well...for the first 2 minutes or so. Then she started crying and running toward me. Goodness. What have "I" signed up for? I did not pay $70 to make my stress levels go out of this world. I did, however, sign up for this girl to PLAY soccer. Ro and I tried everything under the moon and she was not having it. Then, I said something. The right something. (Now I can't even remember what it was!) Anyway, it got her out there, but I had to go with her. She eventually started kicking the ball with coach and running towards the goal. As she went toward the goal, I would scoot back a foot or two. :) Finally, I was off the field....and practice was done!
(oh...by the way...I wore a dress to school this day, so imagine me out there kicking the ball with these dads and the wind was blowing 75 mph. I am sure someone saw something that they did not want to see. Sorry!) Well...Saturday came and I did not know if I was thrilled because she was playing soccer, like I did when I was little or if I was so nervous that she was going to cry and throw a fit! We got to the game and Laela received her purple team shirt. Oh yes! We are the "STING RAYS!" Then she played around with Madelynn for a few minutes. I was hoping that Madelynn's out-going, spunky personality would rub off on Laela during soccer.
Yes! Laela is number 5. :) The kids got to go on the field and practice before the game started. L did not understand why all these kids would not move out of the way for her to kick the ball in the goal. Either way, she practiced a few times, even making it in once. Then it was time to start. Oh my....let the tears FLOW! She did not want to be out on the field without me. Parents can not go out (nor would I go out) but she just stood and cried, so out she came. Finally, in the 3rd quarter, coach told her that he would hold her hand. AND that is exactly what he did...with Laela and another girl!
Next thing you know, she was out there by herself and the buzzer went off. t
Seriously! At this point, Ro had to come over and take charge. I was ready to flip a lid. She didn't even want to go out and try and have a little fun running around like a wild child...and that is what made me sooooooooo irritated. Then, when the game was over, Laela went out and joined the team huddle. Seriously? She did not play like a team member. What the heck!
Laela is one stubborn little girl, but MOMMA is even more stubborn...so off we go to our 2nd practice and game this week. Wish Laela luck!

No comments: