Monday, June 6, 2011

Zoo Day with Daddy!

Since Laela didn't have school today and Kelli did, dad took the day off and took Laela to the zoo. About 1 year ago, Laela was "traumatized" from an episode of America's funniest home videos where she saw a boy wearing a gorilla mask sitting on the toilet (Don't ask). For some crazy reason, she has been scared of them even since (She categorizes chimps and gorillas as one in the same). My goal today was to help Laela overcome this fear of chimpanzees. We got to the zoo at 9:02 (Even though I complain daily about the HOV lane, it was great this morning), got rockstar parking, and basically had the whole place to ourselves. Our first course of action: See the gorillas. On the way there was an outdoor penguin (What the heck?) exhibit.Then came the gorillas. At first, Laela was a little hesitant. I explained to her that the gorillas were sad because they did not have any friends. That triggered a "I'll be their friend, dad!". We saw another one and it was pretty cool because they were actually playing around (One put straw on its head while the other tried to knock it off). Laela thought this was hilarious.Then came the chimpanzees. Now Laela was def. into it. She saw the chimps stuff as much food in their mouth as possible. Then the baby chimp came out and all was good. Mission accomplished!We could have left but it was only 9:35 so I figured we would finish the rest. Elephants, cheetahs, and giraffees followed. Actually got to feed a giraffee too which was kinda cool! Didn't know they have long black tongues! And I didnt know 3 strands of cabbage costs $5! Next, we hit the children's part of the zoo where Laela changed her mind about 25 times about riding the pony. I finally gave our pony pass to stranger as I was defeated! We wrapped up the visit on the carousel and decided that Laela had earned herself a stuffed animal. Between the "Ok, Dad", "Yes, please", and "No thank you's", I figured that mom must have slipped something in her milk. She made my morning a breeze. Anyways, I asked her what she wanted and she said "Gorilla". Woohoo!! A small gorilla and hot pink pouch (Dad = sucker) is now on Laela's bedroom dresser.

Zoo was followed up by Cicis and a much needed nap for dad....I mean Laela. All in all an excellent day. Laela definetely brings out the kid in me and I love spending these times with her. Makes me a little sad to think in a couple of years, she will be in kindergarten.....It feels like yesterday that she was rocking with me in the glider as I fed her a bottle.

I'll be "that" dad sitting outside her elementary school classroom peeking in.

No comments: